Wednesday, February 17, 2010

If I've Ever Needed a Shirley Temple, Today's The Day

Have you ever read the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? I don't think I have ever read the entire book. If I have, it's been years. Anyway, the reason I mention it is because my day today could be entitled Amy and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. I will not get into all the gruesome details, but it was one of the worst days I have had in a very long time. I love my job, I do. But job = frustration. I love my husband with all my heart. Husband = frustration (underline that a couple of times). Anyway, the day is almost over...no more dwelling on bad stuff! Speaking of bad stuff, sorry about the "pity party" I threw myself in the last post. You would think after 27 years of having a heart condition, I'd get used to it by now. Me = frustration.

I had my cardiology appointment about 2 weeks ago. It went so well! I am doing great. A couple of areas to work on: exercise more. Yes, I know about that one - we'll get to that later. Eat healthier. Yes, I know about that one too, only this time, I got a little insight into HOW I am supposed to be eating. One word: PASTA. Okay, actually I am supposed to eat a Mediterranean diet, but a lot of the main dishes are centered around pasta. MY FAVORITE! I requested some recipe books from the library and am looking forward to trying new meals. Hopefully, this dietary change will help me with the final area of improvement: losing weight. This is not going as well as I had hoped because I love food. Let me repeat: I. Love. Food. Emphasis on the love and food parts. I am going to work on the exercise issues and the diet issues and hopefully the weight will come off. It will be slow, but it will come off.

Segueing into the exercise conversation, I have to be ABLE to exercise in order to put my diabolical (weight loss) plan into play. I saw a podiatrist as I have been having left foot pain while I exercise. Pain that hinders me from exercising completely. I have to stop and rest sometimes because my foot gets so sore. Anywho, the doctor took X-rays and found that I have a bone spur on my left big toe. This is hindering the joint in next to the bone spur, which is causing swelling, which is causing pressure on my tendons which is causing the pain. *Breath*. "The heel bone is connected to the leg bone...". I have to wear my shoes all day (from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed), use anti-inflammatories, ice and inserts in my shoes. If this doesn't work after a week, the treatment will get more "aggressive". Meaning: surgery. AGH! I have a heart with 3 chambers and have only had 2 surgeries to repair it. I have had so many other medical issues that the heart seems to be almost a non-issue anymore! I DO NOT want surgery and told the doctor this. His response: "I don't want you to have surgery either, but we'll see". Have you ever heard of a body transplant? Maybe they could just move my brain into...I don't know...Angelina Jolie's body? I could get rid of my job frustration at the same time - I'd be rich!

So often when I am frustrated, I turn to food. Although, my focus is on a drink right now. My "I need a drink" drink. Which drink am I speaking of? The one, the only, the...Shirley Temple. That's right - a kiddie cocktail. Alcohol makes me sleepy and sometimes plain 7-Up just doesn't cut it. Now, where is my grenadine...?

1 comment:

  1. I've been following your blog recently, as my 5-year old has tricuspid atresia. I laughed at your comment on the book, because my son loves it. And I totally empathize with you on the "other" health issues. My son has to have ear tubes and his adenoids removed, and I was so bummed...even though he's made it through 4 heart surgeries!!

    ReplyDelete